Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 15, 2010

Flickr ideas in the library



dok library concept centre My ultimate library would have to be the Dok Delft Library in Holland. I would love to visit this beautiful library one day!

A few years ago when Erik Boekesteijn and Jaap van de Geer did their Shanachie tour around Australia - they absolutely inspired me. J  All their library ideas were so fresh, new and existing.  Not only were their ideas great, but they were motivated to inspire other libraries to do the same.

Playstation in the library In my view, this is exactly what libraries of Australia need "vibrancy and passion". I think libraries need to change their way of thinking – more what users require and desire, and how to achieve these goals. For example, I would love to see a “Romance Section” – dimmed and cosy for the romantic novels. You can even have a little bit of wine. 
 Romance novels

Then again, another section of the library could be set-up especially for the YA – with the latest gadgets, such as the Flip Cameras, iPods and iPads.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellf/3998352517/
It would also be nice to have a musical section (soundproof of course), encouraging YA to learn sheet music or a musical instrument.The Dok Delft library has wonderful musical chairs – this is great! Well, this is just a few ideas I would love to see incorporated within our libraries. I know funding plays a significant role, but it is nice to dream.....  

1 comment:

  1. I love your ideas and passion. The photos you have posted of the Dok Delft Library in Holland are totally inspiring. My brother is living there and has asked us to come and visit. I would definitey add this to my list of things to see!!!!

    ReplyDelete