Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What did you find interesting? What sort of information could your library put on a wiki - internal for staff only or external for customers to use and edit?

Wiki Definition: A wiki ( ) is a website that allows the easy creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
To start off, I think Wiki’s are overall great! I use Wikipedia all the time for my background research projects, especially when I do not know: ‘who is......’ and ‘what is......’ and ‘where is.....’  and what is the meaning of the word..... type of questions. But, in saying this, as a uni student, I was advised not to use any of the Wikipedia references in my assessments.  I could not really understand why?? However, after viewing the Wikis in plain English I now know why! People can edit information freely - anyone.  My only real concern is – if people do make changes, what is the guarantee that the information is 100% correct?  Anyway, this is just my own ponderings......   
However, I still think Wiki’s can be great for any library. They bring all information logically together. I thought, the Antioch University New England Library’s motto - "WWW" (When Wondering? Wiki) is valuable. (I can speak for myself :)
The Games and public libraries Wiki is very interesting too.  Clearly, everyone can participate and contribute their gaming experiences, findings and choices. This definitely is a must have in any library! However, gaming is not available in all Australian libraries. I know for a fact that overseas libraries are well-advanced in this area.  Anyway, I think gaming would be a tremendous hit with our Young Adults, not to mention our Adult user groups.
I realised that when clicking of the Montana History Wiki’s Subject Guides, there were lots of interesting information, like the Military History. But I did notice that the “Cooking and Cookbooks” subject heading was still empty. 
Information: Library Wiki’s (Internal)
  • Meetings
  • Agenda/Minutes
  • Procedure manuals
  • Cataloguing (new rules)
  • ILLs  
  • New staff
  • Current Events & upcoming events
  • Staff training sessions   
  • New ideas
  • Large Print Collections
  • AF/ANF Collections
  • AV collection
  • Story time ideas
  • PramJames
  • JF/JNF Collections
  • Local History Collection
  • Book clubs
 Information: Library Wiki’s (External)  
  •  New books
  • Readers’ choice
  • Gaming
  • AskKnow
  • Reviews
  • Book Club
  • Events
  • Subject Guides

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lizelle! Wow, you are really doing a great job on your blog. Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm REALLY interested in starting some sort of gaming program. Been meaning to talk to people about it. I know a little about it as I'm a bit of a gaming guy.
    Plus regarding wiki's, have a look at the references at the bottom of the page of the subject you're reading - they can send you to some very credible sources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really informative - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lizelle! I'm picking up more info from you than I am from the course - do you think Cockburn will run the next course us?

    We're definite;y looking into going into gaming here in Swan, but the staff really have no idea where to begin - we have a few dabblers but no hard-core gamers amongst us :(

    ReplyDelete