Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Facebook

Well, Facebook is so popular that I don't really think there is anything to add or say. After viewing the What the F*** is Social Media NOW  (Strange title though...) I was amazed at how much time people spend on Facebook - 500 billion minutes per month. 62% of impressions/views come from Facebook per year. This is incredible!  In a way, Facebook is addictive - especially with young people.  My greatest concern with Facebook is that time can disappear - it is like water in the sand.....So in my view, Facebook is a good thing and also a bad thing. It is a great tool to make friends and to find friends. From my experience I have found many "long-last" friends and family members.  I have also found my two half brothers and half sister. (I haven't seen them in 25 years..)

When it comes to business - library business - Facebook and Twitter is great! You can inform people of library services and activities. You can network with other libraries to see what they are doing. You can actually  learn from each other and create from each other. Also, libraries can stay up-to-date with the latest technology and information. Library users are constantly informed about the latest activities and what is happening in the library, as well as other library news. Clearly, these Web 2.0 applications will increase in the future - if we don't know how to use them, we might fall behind.  It is therefore vital for us (staff) to make use of these new technologies in the the best possible way...


2 comments:

  1. I am a reformed Facebook addict and yes I used to lose endless hours to lots of nothing! I'm down to about an hour a day these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook can be a time sink in many different ways.

    I was addicted to the games at one point - was definitely losing more than an hoour a day just playing the games - I couldn't even say I was keeping up with friends or doing research for work :(

    ReplyDelete